Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Daughter of Smoke and....whaaa?

So, whenever I ask my sis for a book recommendation, and she provides one, I can pretty much guarantee that I will BECOME that book until it's done. Which, if you're slightly insane like me, takes about 20 minutes, because unlike most NORMAL people who read a chapter here, a chapter there, I will sit down and read a book from COVER to COVER in one sitting, forgoing appetite and urge to poo, ignoring deadlines and school papers, and push the Zombie Apocalypse (somehow) to the back of my mind. All so that I can be slightly obsessed with a story for a little while. It's pretty freaking great.

My latest obsession is the new book series by Laini Taylor - starting with Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Oh. MY. Gosh. I totally want to be Karou (main character hot kick-ass heroine chick with BLUE HAIR - duh!!) I had a phase growing up where I insisted (just to myself, really, and all my friends. And my family. And my stuffed animals) that I was Kira from The Dark Crystal. This is my girl, Kira, a.k.a. ME:


How could any girl child NOT want to be the savior of her race of Gelflings, especially when she comes fully equipped with some awesome ethereal wings that she whips out at the brink of death and totally BLOWS. THE. MIND of the male character?? Yeah, I was definitely in that phase of thinking I was really Kira until I was like, 31. Which is right now. UNTIL. Karou!!! Oh, Karou....well, let me just make a long story short. In the book, there is a war raging between the angels (seraphim) and the devils (chimaera). There are also these really bad-ass chimaera called revenants that can totally wipe out the seraphim race. Karou, the blue-haired chimaera, falls in love with a seraphim named Akiva, and OH BOY is that romance requited! This is unfortunate, because, naturally, neither race is very happy about this little love affair. On the other hand, Akiva IS pretty hot, with his smoldering wings, sculpted abs and fiery eyes...sigh....*snaps back to reality* ANYWAY. As I was saying. When I get into this "become obsessed with a book" thing, sometimes I sort of...incorporate...the lingo and vocabulary of the story into real life. Wait, you mean they're not the same thing? ....I am so crushed right now. Seriously. Crushed. 

I finished both books in the series, sadly, in 2 days. During finals week. I am sooooo so so so smart. And imagine hubs' surprise when he receives the following text message from me: 

Moral of the story is: Dye hair blue. Become a tattooed weapon of mass destruction. Make out with an angel. Yesssssssssss.


No comments: